Appetizer

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Don't Go to Closing Before Doing This, Or You May Really Regret It!

There is one thing that most people don't do, that can cost you dearly, before you sit down to sign the closing paper. Learn from my bad experience.

Introduction

You had the house inspected. Check. You calculated the amount you'll need for repairs. Check. You get all of your paperwork into the title company and the mortgage company. Check. All set to sign the closing papers? Wrong!

What is left to do? You must inspect the house one more time immediately before going to the closing.

What Happened to Me

In July 2008, I made an offer on an investment house that I thought would make a good rental property. I negotiated a deal with the seller where she would pay part of the closing costs. I hired a capable house inspector, who wrote a good report of the property. The closing was delayed a week because the lender asked for more documentation for me. During that week, I did not enter the house again, although I did a few drive bys to keep an eye on it.

After signing the papers on July 18th, I immediately went to the house to start on some repair work. Upon opening the door, I was overwhelmed by a powerful musty/humid smell. The carpet was wet and I heard the splash as I walked across the living room to the wash room. I saw the hot water was leaking and had flooded the house.

Leaking Hot Water Heater Creates Greenhouse Environment

What was worse, with the windows and doors closed, the hot water had created a humid greenhouse environment that was perfect for growing mold! And as I looked around, I could see mold on almost all the walls, from top to bottom.

After a futile effort to try to clean up the mess, I called the agent who represented both myself and the seller. She came over to the house and immediately contacted the title company and the lender to stop the deal. I was fortunate that the closing took place on Friday afternoon because the paperwork wouldn't be filed until Monday morning. The deal was stopped and I got all of my earnest money and down payment back, except the cost of the home appraisal and the inspection.

A Hard Lesson Learned

Had I done the final inspection prior to going to the closing, I could have saved a lot of time & effort.

I have been through many closings and I never did a final walk through before closing. But from now on, I will never fail do it.

As an epilogue, when I went on vacation to Mexico after this episode was over, I made it a point to turn off the gas and water to the hot water heater in my personal residence.

I think I have learned my lesson.

Terry Sprouse is author of the book "Fix 'em Up, Rent 'em Out: How to Start Your Own House Fix-Up and Rental Business in Your Spare Time."

Terry's blog & webpages:
http://www.fixemup.org
http://www.planetabooks.com

Essay
Essay Writing
Thesis
Dissertation
Research Papers

12 Comments:

Blogger linda parker said...

Just to add a few words to the excellent article above, have you ever wondered where you can find the best test banks and solution manuals online? The answer to this question is just a click away. Checkout this Communication In Business International Edition 8th Edition Test Bank to get an immediate A+.

January 19, 2021 at 1:17 AM  
Blogger Diane Parker said...

If you are looking for 185 Mathematical Note Present Value And the best place to get it would be ScholarOn. All questions including 185 Understand The Types And Major are listed with complete solutions with exclusive offers on problems like 186 A Local Group Claims That, all under a single subscription.

February 15, 2021 at 12:44 AM  
Blogger Portia Williams said...

Get the best value for your money while purchasing Test Bank For Basics Of Web Design Html5 Css 6th Edition only at TestBanksOnline the top sellers of online learning material.

March 12, 2021 at 4:31 AM  
Blogger robin.smithsters said...

The best source for learning today are online resources. Students can find the best Test Banks and Solution Manuals Online including Introduction To Medical Surgical Nursing 5th Edition Test Bank at GrowMyGrade.The best source for learning today are online resources. Students can find the best Test Banks and Solution Manuals Online including Solution Manual For Operations Management Sustainability And Supply Chain Management 13th Edition 2 at GrowMyGrade.

March 15, 2021 at 4:45 AM  
Blogger kimberlykeller said...

College exams are not hard anymore! Face even the toughest tests and assignments with Accounting Principles Sixth Canadian Edition Solution Manual right away!

November 22, 2021 at 3:57 AM  
Blogger Wilson Valance said...

Do not waste countless hours on your college assignments anymore. Get Test Bank For Canadian Fundamentals Of Nursing 6th Edition and work smart with better results.

November 23, 2021 at 10:16 PM  
Blogger Portia Williams said...

Looking for test banks and Solution Manuals online? Do not go any further! Just click on this link to access Essentials Of Psychology Psy 113 General Psychology 5th Edition Test Bank rightaway.

November 23, 2021 at 11:05 PM  
Blogger linda parker said...

Thanks for the amazing article. I want to add that the best place for test banks and solution manuals online is TestBanks21. You can get the best quality and updated Test Bank For Diseases Of The Human Body 6th Edition at great discounts here.

December 1, 2021 at 8:40 PM  
Blogger Portia Williams said...

Looking for test banks and Solution Manuals online? Do not go any further! Just click on this link to access Business Statistics In Practice Using Data Modeling And Analytics 8th Edition Test Bank rightaway.

December 2, 2021 at 4:07 AM  
Blogger AndrewsKim said...

If you are looking for Medicine Answers for your college homework, look no further. Scholaron provides the best solutions for college homework.

April 12, 2022 at 12:22 AM  
Blogger Diane Parker said...

Education Solutions based on your textbook is the smartest way to handle your homework, projects, assignments and exam preparation. Checkout the ScholarOn collection to be on the top of your class.

April 20, 2022 at 12:03 AM  
Blogger Diane Parker said...

Get best discounts on Test Bank For Services Marketing People Technology Strategy 7th Edition and be a 4.0 student on every test.

May 2, 2022 at 11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home